Error reading from file

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Lin

Error reading from file

Postby Lin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Could anyone please tell me what would be causing this error!

Error reading from file: C:\DOCUME~1\QA\LOCALS~\Temp\mia1.tmp\data\OFFLINE\60877D3C\711DDB4B\NV.MDF. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

The file exists but in a different folder: C:\DOCUME~1\QA\LOCALS~\Temp\mia1.tmp\data\OFFLINE\AE2BBE0B\711DDB4B\NV.MDF.

MichaelNesmith

Re: Error reading from file

Postby MichaelNesmith » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:27 pm

What version of InstallAware are you using?

Which setup command is this file a part of?

Can you reproduce this issue by removing all setup commands except the command that installs this file?
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Lin

Postby Lin » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:12 pm

I am using InstallAware 9.

I am not positive but I believe I found the problem. In the setupmsi45 script I changd the reboot computer and resume setup to
Write Registry Persist Key HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\$TITLE$, $EXEFILE$
Reboot Computer
because after the reboot computer and resume setup, it is aweful annoying that I can't get to anything on my desktop, there are no icons, no start menu/taskbar...

From what it looks like, when I have the write registry persist key... in code, the install doesn't recreate those temporary directories so it must lose that path after the reboot but with the reboot computer and resume setup, after the machine reboots it runs through the whole 15 minute long "verifying the contents of this setup package..." which I am assuming is recreating those temporary directories.

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:59 pm

If you are based off of a single file installer, you should not invoke $EXEFILE$ but $SFXFILE$ because the $EXEFILE$ resources will vanish as you have found out.

Please note that you really should be calling Reboot and Resume instead of what you are doing now. Microsoft guidelines require that any setups returning after a reboot must re-invoke before explorer.exe has been loaded - thus the missing "desktop icons".

In fact, we used to have Reboot and Resume work the way you are trying to it right now manually, but had tons of complaints about that so had to change it to the current approach, which has confused you.
Michael Nesmith

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Technical Support”