Version number does not appear in Vista / Win7

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
blandry

Version number does not appear in Vista / Win7

Postby blandry » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:10 am

One of our systems has been rejected by Microsoft because our version number does not appear in the Add/Remove programs window in Vista / Win 7. Oddly, the version number is entered correctly in Installaware (version 7) that we use, and it appears just fine on the tooltip of the install package, AND (!) in the properties of the install package itself! That same version number is logged into our EXE (VS 2005, VB.NET app) and that also seems to appear where expected.

To be sure I am providing good information, Microsoft is unhappy because in the Add / Remove window for Vista and Win 7, there is a column dedicated to version number - and it is there that we see no version number.

I think I have done everything properly in Installaware, and our EXE too - but I do need to resolve this so we can make MS happy and get our app certified.

Does anyone have any info on this? I searched the forums but cannot find any info on such a problem.

Thanks - Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sdeschenes

Re: Version number does not appear in Vista / Win7

Postby sdeschenes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:07 am

You need to write the version number to \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<product name>\DisplayVersion.

blandry

Re: Version number does not appear in Vista / Win7

Postby blandry » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Thank you very much for the information - that indeed, did the trick. Now, if only someone could explain to me why Microsoft could not answer that question!?!?! They had us writing it to Version... ARGH!!! But thank you very much for saving my backside and making my boss happy, for at least one day!

Return to “Technical Support”